Law Offices of Gallner & Pattermann, P.C. - Personal Injury

Representing those injured in Iowa and Nebraska since 1974

Call Today for a FREE Consultation 402.403.3092 Holiday hours

How to file a Workers' Comp claim

If you have been injured while on the job or while performing work-related activities, it probably will not be long before you start considering how your injury is going to affect your future. Before you begin working on a workers' compensation claim, it is important to know how it should be done. Filing the claim properly the first time will ensure that the process will go as quickly as possible.

1) Notify your employer

Generally, work-related injuries are known as such because they happen while you are working, because of the nature of your work, and they cause you to miss more than three days of work. After you have determined that you have sustained a work-related injury, your first step to filing a claim will be notifying your employer of your injury. You must notify your employer within the first 90 days following the injury, otherwise the claim may be denied. The longer you wait to report the injury, the more difficult it will be to prove that it was a result of work-related activities.

2) File an EDI report

There is a four-day window of time following the time you notified your employer wherein a report must be submitted to the Workers' Compensation Commissioner via the Electronic Data Interchange (EDI). Use of the EDI is required for submitting reports. The state of Iowa has a workers' compensation website where you can find all relevant documents and forms you will need.

It is highly suggested that you organize all information related to your claim so it is readily available should you need to access it. It should also be noted that all employers are required to maintain up-to-date records of all workplace injuries. If an injury caused an employee to miss a full day of work, it should be filed.

3) Take it from there

After you have promptly submitted all relevant forms and documents to the appropriate agencies, what happens next depends on your specific situation. Depending on the type of injury you have sustained, you may enroll in physical therapy and/or rehabilitation. The laws are designed in an effort to ensure that all benefits are sent out quickly to prevent the injured employee from having to deal with any additional hardship, but the amount of benefits varies greatly and depends on your particular situation.

If you do find yourself in a situation in which you have to deal with workers' compensation issues, or if some kind of dispute develops over the incident that resulted in your injury, you will want to consider contacting a legal professional who is familiar with workers' comp issues. Their expertise and assistance will help in making the process go as smoothly as possible.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

To Set Up A Free Consultation, Email Our Firm Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

300 West Broadway
Suite 145
Council Bluffs, IA 51503

Toll Free: 888-730-9836
Phone: 402-403-3092
Map & Directions

Law Offices of Gallner & Pattermann, P.C.