Call for a Free Consulation - No Fee Unless We Win
Legal

Can Toxic Mold Cause Health Problems?

When you think about toxic exposure, mold may be one of the first things that comes to mind. You may worry about the effects mold can have on your health in Iowa and how you can remove it.

You may think that all mold is toxic, but this is usually not the case. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that mold can be nontoxic while generating toxins, and you typically do not need to treat them any differently than you would treat any mold in your home. Additionally, you and your family may not always experience health problems if you discover mold. If you are regularly around this substance at your workplace, you may be more likely to react to it. Most of the time, a reaction to mold consists of irritated eyes or skin or a stuffy nose.

When you discover a large patch of mold in your home, you may be tempted to leave your house until the mold is gone. However, the presence of mold does not always mean you need to leave. If one of your family members has allergies or a respiratory disease, you should generally speak to your doctor to determine whether you should stay in your home.

When mold grows in your house, you are most likely to find it on walls or pipes which are usually damp. You may also find it on wallpaper, cardboard and paper products because these all contain some of the nutrients that mold needs to thrive. Although you may strive to keep this substance out of your home, it is important to remember that your pets, clothes and air conditioning system can all bring mold inside. Usually you can remove this by creating a bleach solution and applying it to the moldy surface. It is recommended that you remove any mold you find quickly so it does not become an infestation.

Categories