Sometimes dangers in your home lurk in places where you may not see them. One such danger is black mold, which can grow in any home in Iowa. According to Healthline, black mold produces mycotoxins, which release into the air as spores. These toxins may cause mycotoxicosis or mold poisoning. There are many symptoms that may result from exposure to black mold. Typically, those who have allergies or asthma respond most severely to exposure.
The most common symptoms you may experience if you have black mold in your home are respiratory in nature. They include wheezing, nose stuffiness, and coughing. Other common symptoms are due to irritation and may produce itchy skin or eyes and red eyes.
If you have asthma or allergies, it can aggravate your symptoms and make them worse, especially breathing issues. Even if you do not have another condition, black mold can lead to breathing problems. You may also suffer additional symptoms, such as headache, fever, hair loss, exhaustion, muscle cramps, stomach pains, memory loss, anxiety, light sensitivity, weight gain, confusion and numbness in your hands and feet. You may also experience chest colds often and more severely.
The best way to combat any black mold related issues is to first determine your condition comes as a result of black mold exposure. A doctor can diagnose you through blood tests or a skin prick test. Once diagnosed, you should have the mold completely removed from your home. This information is for education and is not legal advice.